Somewhere in Shanghai, there is a QR code in the sky.
There is the technical wizardry of drone operations that could create a QR code in the night sky. It then makes you wonder if this is needed?
Scanning conversations on Twitter, the responses included –
- ‘future possibilities’ and applications
- ‘scalable billboards and exponential infinity model.’
- ‘beautiful’ and other terms for wonder too.
- Do we need the wonders of fingerprinting, ad-tech related in the sky as well?
- Nighttime light pollution has been associated with many health disorders plus the impact on wildlife. This kind of service may add to the problem and add to the safety and energy burden.
- There is a lot of discussion on the impact of nighttime light pollution on astronomy and the work of earth observation teams. Adding to this are the mega-constellations of satellites going into service in earth orbit. They will be visible from the earth.
Now imagine a child, fascinated by apps like Sky Guide, taking to a telescope. What will they see? A galaxy, comet, planet, human-made satellites or a QR code. Is there a correct answer for this?
Picture source : https://twitter.com/Pathfinder/status/1383491963068899336/photo/1